Homepage >> Puławy & region

Puławy & region

Basic tourist  information about the Puławy and nearby cities.


Puławy

At the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries Puławy was known as the "Polish Athens".
The town was the seat of the eminent Czartoryski family and due to them it became the second after Warsow centre of political and cultural life in Poland.

For over 150 years Puławy has been the research centre - starting with the Polytechnic Institute of Agriculture and Forestry now the area boasts a variety of well - established scientific institutes.

This peaceful and devoid of any industry town also had its own holiday merit. The decision to situate a huge chemical works near the town brought about on essential change in town's lifestyle.

Now, over 60.000 people live here. It is the centre of the administrative unit and because of Zakłady Azotowe (Nitrogen Works) it constitues an important factor in the economy of the Lublin region and plays a crucial role as "an entrance gate and the back" for a very attractive tourist area.

Domek Gotycki
Ghotic House


Monuments and places worth seeing in Puławy:

  • The Czartoryski Family Palace
  • The Marynki Palace
  • The Temlpe of Sybilla
  • The Ghotic House
  • The Chinese House
  • The Greek House
  • The Yellow House
  • The Sarcophagus
  • The Roman Gate
  • The Church Under The Invocation Of The Assumption Of The Holy Mother
  • The "Kruszyna" House
  • The "Cienista" House

Pałac Czartoryskich
Czartoryski Family Palace
Świątynia Sybilli
Temlpe of Sybilla



The Lubelski Triangle consist of the three towns:



Other interesting places worth seeing near Puławy:


Kazimierz Dolny (12km from Puławy)

In the area of today's Kazimierz there already existed a settlement called Windy Hill in the early middle ages, which alongside the neighbouring hamlets was bestowed at the end of the 12th century (1181) by Kazimierz Sprawiedliwy (Kazimierz the Fair) to the Norbertan nuns from Cracow's Zwierzyniec. It is thought that the nuns changed the name of the settlement to Kazimierz in order to honour their benefactor. The oldest document in which appeared this name comes from 1249.

The tower was built in the middle Ages and was most likely a part of the former castle. In the mid 14th century King Kazimierz Wielki (the Great) erected a castle made of stone just below the tower. The legend about the king’s relationship with a beautiful Jewess, Esterka, has survived till the present. The king built a castle for Esterka in nearby Bochotnica; it was supposedly connected with the Kazimierz fortress by an underground tunnel. The king also gave the settlement municipal rights.

The 16th and 17th centuries were the town’s golden age. Being a crossroads of trade routes, it became very rich dealing in goods, especially corn. The beautiful granaries along the river bank commemorate this period together with the renaissance outlay of the town and the magnificently decorated tenement houses that belonged to rich merchant families (Przybyło, Celej, Górski). At that time Kazimierz already had 3 churches, out of which the most beautiful is the parish church (fara) that was renewed in the style of lubelski renaissance and in 1620, received the largest organ in Poland at that time. The Swedish invasion brought the decline of Kazimierz’s magnificence; the town was never to regain it again. After the fall of the January Uprising, Kazimierz lost its municipal rights and became a country settlement.

After World War I, Kazimierz became a haven for artists, mainly painters. In 1923 Tadeusz Pruszkowski (professor at the Academy of Fine Arts in Warsaw) initiated open-air summer programmes for his students. A group of painters founded St Luke’s Fellowship. Antoni Michalak, a member of the group and student of Pruszkowski, settled in Kazimierz for good. In 1927 Kazimierz regained its municipal rights.

Worth seeing:
  • Three Crosses Mounntan
  • Castel Tower
  • Castel ruins
  • Old market
  • Church of Saint Anna
  • Monastary
  • Old granaries
  • Old synagogue

Nałęczów (24km from Puławy)

This small town is famous from mineral wather and unike micro-climat. Becauce of it Nałęczów became one of most popular places for peaople with hearth problems and place of reasting form many famous polish writers and artists.

Worth seeing:
  • Park
  • Old Bathrooms - Stare Łazienki
  • Houses at Lipowej Avenue and at Armatnia Góra
  • House of Żeromski

Janowiec (14km from Puławy)

It is small quiet viliage located at the cliff on Wisła river with a 16th century Castel abowe the vilage.

Worth seeing:
  • Castle
  • Church
  • Park
  • The Moniaków Palace

Kozłówka (45km from Puław)

Main Atraction of this small town is Park with 18th century Palace. Originaly whole complex belongs to Family of Polish aristocrats - Zamoyskich.
The Palac as well as a lot of original paintings and furniture, surviwed the II World War intact and was used as warehouse by Polish ministry of Culture.

Since 1979 the Palace is museum with one of most ameazing colection of Paintings and furniture from end of 19th century.


Worth seeing:
  • Muzeum of Zamoyskich
  • Muzeum of Socrealizmu
  • Chapel
  • Various time excibitions
  • Beautifull garden
design by: design83 | cms83 © 2011 Szkolne Schronisko Młodzieżowe w Puławach